Monday

2 Nephi 3

The Lord has shown time and again that he is able to do miraculous things with ordinary people. This chapter talks about prophesies that Joseph of Egypt gave concerning the future of his people. One speaks of Moses:

2 Nephi 3:17

And the Lord hath said: I will raise up a Moses; and I will give power unto him in a rod; and I will give judgment unto him in writing. Yet I will not loose his tongue, that he shall speak much, for I will not make him mighty in speaking. But I will write unto him my law, by the finger of mine own hand; and I will make a spokesman for him.

It occurred to me here that Moses' job could have been done by just about anybody. The Lord gave him a rod and a spokesman and wrote unto him his law. Moses was a great prophet, I think anyone would have a hard time arguing otherwise, but after reading this scripture I think his major qualification was that he was willing to go where the Lord asked him to go, and do what the Lord asked him to do. And because of his faith, the Lord was able to make something great out of his service.

The Book of Mormon is an interesting example of this principle. Those of us who have read it and believe it will testify as I do that it has had a powerful effect on our lives. Personally the book of Mormon has changed my life in several ways and it was through reading the Book of Mormon and then applying the principles therein that I gained a true testimony of Jesus Christ and the power of the atonement. The book is powerful, but many of it's authors complained that they were not able to write much because of the awkwardness of engraving on plates. (Jacob 4:1 ,Ether 12:24) And Moroni went on to say that he was afraid that people would make fun of his words.

Ether 12:25


Thou hast also made our words powerful and great, even that we cannot write them; wherefore, when we write we behold our weakness, and stumble because of the placing of our words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall mock at our words.

Yet the Book of Mormon has had a powerful effect on millions of people. Well this chapter in 2 Nephi explains why.

2 Nephi 3:21

Because of their faith their words shall proceed forth out of my mouth unto their brethren who are the fruit of thy loins; and the weakness of their words will I make strong in their faith, unto the remembering of my covenant which I made unto thy fathers.

Because they had the faith to make the record, and faith that it would reach their descendants God has made something mighty out of their weakness. I thought as I reached the end of this chapter that if I wanted to, I could be like that. If I just went to work. I just started doing something... anything good. We don't need a special calling for God to take our ordinary efforts and make them extraordinary... we just need to make some effort.

No comments: